On a recent visit to see my grandchildren, I took along some wire, cutters and pliers. Peter James, age nearly nine, made me this “fringe” necklace.
I explained the basic technique, and away he went!
He engineered the closure, too.
The fringe sort of forms a heart!
(The sticker is a reward from my granddaughter for completing a fairy puzzle while she was teaching. I was Pre-K Karla!!)
I’m tired of waiting for my mini tassels to get here, so I decided to try to make one. I gathered 2 pieces of 26 gauge wire, a plastic knife, and a skein of good old DMC embroidery thread #321, Christmas red.
I wrapped the thread around the handle of the knife until it looked right, 5 or 6 times.
I slipped a piece of wire under one edge of the wrap and gave it a twist. I slipped the thread over onto one blade of my sewing scissors. I clipped the thread and used the other wire to wrap around the top of the tassel.
After a lot more twisting and trimming and mashing, looping and attaching, I was done with one tassel, and I believe that’s enough!
Look what I made, a Black-eyed Susan! I used Susan Thomas’s instructions and added another layer of petals (6, 7 was too many.) I wired them to themselves for a few rounds to keep them from nesting directly behind the front layer. Because there is an even number on the back row, I had to wrap all the way around a petal and weave in the opposite direction to secure the beads.
The beads are all Czech glass from JTV kits. The wire is 26g and all one piece , about 4 ft. I had just enough to leave a little tail to attach it to something.
I finally made one! Remember the video I shared on Feb. 4? Here’s my first attempt:
The quilts I use as slipcovers in Mama’s living room came tied in a long bias strip of fabric. I used it to wrap the wire base of this bangle.
The video called for Aileen’s Tacky Glue, but mine was so old, it had dried to a solid bottle of rubber. I used Modpodge for Fabric and did not like the way it felt when dry. I wrapped the wire a second time and just used the Modpodge on the underside of the fabric. Much better!
A little bird kept it all in place while it dried!
The fabric strip was colorful, but flat, and dull. I added a very shiny, bright purple ribbon with a metallic edge.
After I wrapped that around and secured it, I followed with a variety of tiny coordinated beads strung on 26 gauge copper wire. I swirled the ends and used those swirls to attach it to itself. Finished fun!