Another Friday Finish!

Another Friday Finish!
I finally finally finished my mixed media whitewater collage!

The image is a momigamied page from a local magazine, mounted on white metallic painted tissue, mounted on canvas board painted metallic blue.

Instead of using oil, as in traditional momigami, I dry brushed some of the white metallic paint and added tiny specks of iridescent white glitter glue.

I made the paddle with a piece of dowel and polymer clay. The wave at the bottom is made of silver tube beads laid end to end.

The hanging cord is a piece of salvaged ear wire. The paddle is secured with pieces of braided “mini rope.”

The whole piece is finished with 7coats of clear gloss spray. I also gave it a couple of shots of UV Preserve before adding the gloss spray.

I finished the back of my whitewater collage with a slightly trimmed 12×12” piece of blue ombre card stock, and clear glue.

It is signed and dated with my K♥️ signature under one loose corner of the momigamied image.

Ribbon Embroidery on a Photograph

Ribbon Embroidery on a Photograph

I am taking a class on Domestika on embroidering on photographs. I have thought for years of printing photographs on fabric and then embroidering details. I never thought about embroidering on the actual photograph until I found this class.

So, here I go. I didn’t have shades of orange in my ribbon stash, but I did have yellows and 2 shades of orange Sharpies!

I stitched my first flower. Can you tell?

I learned several things:

1. Premium photo paper is tough. Even with pre-punching holes for my stitches, it’s very much like hand sewing leather. (Flashbacks to sewing ribbons on my daughter’s ballet shoes.)

2. This is an inkjet copy. The ink rubs off on your hands AND your ribbon.

3. This technique requires a lot of photo handling. A big border is essential. So is a white cotton glove on your non-dominant hand. It prevents fingerprints. (Due to #2, the glove doesn’t stay white.)

I stitched my glove several times. Better the glove than my finger!
I got quite a bit done, tonight, but it’s hard to see. I think that’s a good thing!

Look what Laura Made!

Look what Laura Made!

Laura’s lovely lariat made with leather, assorted beads, sewing charms and a Mardi Gras stone heart!(That’s a quilt she made for me in the background!)

And here she is!When Laura Sheaffer and I get together, we like to party, and by party, I mean create!

Something interesting with tape, paint and wax paper

Something interesting with tape, paint and wax paper

I have been painting all kinds of media to use as materials for the 100 day challenge. I found two different rolls of medical tape in our first aid drawer. I placed a piece of each on wax paper so I could peel them off later. I painted each with Ceramcoat Gleams acrylic paint in Fuchsia PRL.

There was already gold metallic acryllic paint on the wax paper. When the tape dried, I carefully pulled it away from the wax paper. It brought the gold paint with it.

Any place on the tape that was sticky could be used to pull more gold paint off the wax paper.

I have got to think about how I can put this to use!

100 Days!

100 Days!

I am participating in the 100 days project on Facebook. During this project, you are challenged to focus on one aspect of your creativity every day for 100 days. I chose the creation of collage pages. This experiment is to see if I can copy and paste the Facebook posts to this blog. Here goes!

the100dayproject2022, Day1, I think my focus will be on paper manipulation. This page is based on momigami, a Japanese folding and oiling technique. I stop short of fully saturating the paper with oil, photograph it (I like the impressionistic look it gives the photo) and then add metallic paint to the creases. This page is from the Oct, 2017 issue of Southern Living Magazine. #100daysofcollagepapers

A farm in Weaverville, NC
Kneaded (Momigami)
Dry brushed with gold using a make-up wedge

Try, Try, Again

Try, Try, Again

I recently tried dissolving inks with Citrasolv, a degreasing agent I discovered on You Tube. The artist using the solvent was Froyle Davies, and I have become a big fan of her collage work.

After watching her video. I immediately ordered a small bottle of Citrasolv on Amazon, together with a few empty little spray bottles.

Froyle, along with several other You Tube artists, I learned, dissolves the ink from the pages of National Geographic Magazine. The ink moves and makes bubbly designs.

I didn’t have any Nat Geo’s on hand, so I searched for glossy pages from other publications.

I tried three colorful catalog pages, one from Southern Living and one from glossy South Park Magazine, as well as a local sales circular.

I laid them all out on a plastic trash bag in the garage and gave them a good spritz of Citrasolv. I checked them in 20 minute intervals to see what happened. Basically, they went from wet to dryer to dry. The ink didn’t move.

The Citrasolv did make the garage smell like an orange processing plant!