This turned out better than expected.
The pattern from Sticka till Barbie (#11) called for a complicated rib pattern. I had to change it up to make it simpler. I did a K1P1 rib throughout.
I knit while I’m watching TV, and a complicated pattern is too much to keep up with. That’s why the rainbow dress had so many mistakes. I was watching Panther football!
I did have to pay some attention. First of all, it called for an odd number of stitches. I had to make sure I was knitting my knits and purling my purls on the wrong side. Otherwise, I would have done a seed stitch. Seed stitch is not my favorite, though I may try a skirt, someday.
Speaking of skirts, the top of this dress did not look like it was working out right. I thought at one point, that I’d unravel it back to the skirt part and just cast it off.
I printed a copy of the pattern and highlighted all dimensions, stitch counts, cast offs, and decreases. Everything else was changed to K1P1. It came together just right! The finishing directions weren’t complete, but I figured it out.
Kent says it looks like a Wilma Flintstone dress! Maybe I need to string a few chunky beads!
I knit the same pattern as the previous gold dress, but I did a
K2P2 rib stitch. I accidentally knit the right side of the bodice to the wrong side of the skirt, so I flipped up the hem. Ta-da!
Blocking didn’t remove my mistakes, but it did give this dress a better shape!
I used the Vanna’s Glamour yarn in gold and the first skirt and top pattern I tried from Sticka till Barbie
This time I got the rib pattern right, and instead of casting off the top of the skirt, I just changed to stockinette stitch and kept going. I tried to make the arm holes bigger for Wonder Woman’s buff arms. It didn’t work, but I’m still happy.
This model is Dee Dee from Barbie and the Rockers, another basement find!
I thought to use my mini macrame board to block my Barbie knitting:
in gold! Hurray! It arrived from Amazon, today! I’m thinking about trying this pattern:
PS: no way! I pulled up the pattern and the instructions were ridiculous! It was knit top down with bunches of increases. I think it’s much easier to decrease, so I’m going to reverse engineer it and create my own!
The rainbow dress Vivi requested is finished, almost. I am not particularly pleased with it. It needs blocking, but I’m afraid of melting the shiny (polyamide?) fibers in the yarn.
I followed pattern #45 from Sticka till Barbie, but I made lots of mistakes. Luckily, this nubby yarn (Lion Brand Bon Bons in Celebrate) is fairly forgiving. I used the colors leftover from my other Barbie projects, so hopefully Vivi will be forgiving, too.
Barbie doesn’t look thrilled either. Maybe, it’s the burgundy backdrop she’s eyeing. Could be it’s the Christmas tree still up and lit on Jan. 2. I keep mine on until the Epiphany.
Remember this old girl, Fashion Queen Barbie? She came in an Egyptian-looking bathing suit with a head scarf and 3 wigs! Only this blond one has survived at my house.
She’s my latest model since Hispanic Barbie is visiting with Vivien. I was looking for a simple knitted dress pattern, but the one I found was not simple at all. So, I came up with my own. It needs some tweaking before I share it.
I’ll try again, after I have a go at the “rainbow dress” Vivi has requested. I’m also going to try a Fun Fur wrap!
Barbie might get invited to two parties, so I knit her a green sparkly outfit. I didn’t follow the pattern, this time, either. This is a K2P2 rib on the skirt and the yoke of the top.
This yarn is nubbier than the red and harder to work with. I’m happy with it, but my eyes hurt. I feel very fluish, anyway.
Barbies’s all set for a Christmas party in her new sweater and skirt!
It’s knit from the same Lions Brand Bon Bon Yarn in red. The pattern became my own. I started with the skirt and messed up on the second row. The whole skirt was supposed to be knit in K1P1 rib, but I knit in my purls and purled in my knits. That makes a seed stitch. Instead of ripping it out and starting over, I kept going, at least for about 6 rows. I’m not crazy about seed stitch, so I changed to stockinette. I knit the length of the skirt and finished it with a few toes of seed stitch. The top called for stockinette, but I finished it in matching seed stitch, too!
I haven’t sewn the back of the top yet. I’m afraid I won’t be able to get it back on the Doll. I may opt for hooks or snaps. I don’t like the Velcro used on most doll clothes, today.
The sweater set is based on number 39 from www.stickatillbarbie.se. Barbie has a new outfit and I’m afraid I may have a new obsession.