Well now, it’s pretty obvious that my big felt idea involves pockets so I’ll call these, “protopockets:” Protopocket 1: My seam allowance (1/4″) is too small for what I have in mind, and too hard to maintain. The felt wants to slide a little. I used a Bernina #20 open-toed embroidery foot on these. The decorative stitch is #16 and is too narrow.
My craft felt sheets measure 9×12″. I turned down 1,1/2″ on each end and ran decorative stitch #20 across 1″ from the outer edge. The stitch above is set at 5.5×1. Below, 5.5×2. I used decorative stitch #13 to seam the pocket 1/2″ on either side. To look right, stitch #13 should be done with a clear bobbin thread. I was too busy playing to change the bobbin.
Protopocket 2: Much better! Both the seam allowance and the decorative stitch are wider. The seam is 1/2″. The decorative stitch is 4×4. I learned that it’s not necessary to backstitch to secure the decorative stitch, it just makes a waddy mess.